Sutho’s SWHL ladies in first grand final

Paris keeping up the pressure until the last minute

It was a proud moment for Sutho when the final whistle blew on last Sunday’s tough Sydney Women’s Hockey League semifinal between Sutho and Glebe.

It was already historic that our club was able this year to field its first SWHL team, but now after their 4-1 win, our ladies are about to play in their competition’s grand final. They finished the round games as unbeaten minor premiers.

All of Sutho’s best wishes are with the team, which, as a mix of young and experienced players, is a formerly missing pathway for too many of our younger brigade.

Meanwhile, five of our junior teams are lining up for grand finals next Sunday – and for the first time, Sutho will host them all. Discussions are continuing about whether the games will be live-streamed because of COVID-19 restrictions. We’ll keep everyone posted.

The juniors lining up next weekend are:

Under 11 Blue Tongues v St George Randwick, U11A Geckos v University of NSW, U13B Blue Tongues v Bankstown/Sydney Uni and (drumroll, please!) the all-Sutho U13A Geckos v Blue Tongues clash that will also be the last Battle of the Lizards Trophy match for 2020.

Our first-grade Arangas team is in a sudden-death semi this weekend in the women’s South East Sydney Hockey Association semis, while our fourth and fifth grade men’s teams are in Sydney Hockey Sydney League semis against Bentstix and Bankstown respectively.

Go Sutho!

Our Sydney Premier League teams have one more round of matches before their comp’s semis begin.

Now over to Christa Lynch for her SWHL ladies match report, accompanied by Anna Domrow’s game pictures.


After an early morning deluge, conditions were steamy at Olympic Park for Sutho’s major semifinal against fourth-placed Glebe. We were minor premiers and favourites, but in a shortened finals series there were no second chances. It was do or die.

Intensity ramped up at training this week. Coaches Kristen and Sarah had the girls well prepared.  After some final pre-match words from captain Ash, the girls were on!

Sutho dominated from the starting whistle, with Hannah commanding the play, as usual, leading to good field position throughout the first quarter. Kristen opened the scoring early, capitalising on our strong passing game and slick attack. We were on the board and up 1-0 at the break. Relief.

The sun was getting hotter – and a small window of opportunity saw Glebe score midway through the second quarter. Scores were even 1-1 at half time, and there were smiles all round in the Glebe dugout.


But Sarah kept the team calm and focused on the basics, and Sutho retook the field after half time with renewed determination.

Then the flood gates opened…

Ash took control and scored two cracking goals early in the third quarter. Paris’s signature base-line runs had the opposition rattled, and the backs were solid in defence as always.

We created opportunity after opportunity in the circle. But we were unlucky not to come up with more points until Jo converted a short corner in the fourth quarter to put the result beyond doubt. A 4-1 win and we are through to the GF!! Go Sutho!!


Sutho 1st grade Arangas 2 St George 1

WE WON 2-1!!!

At home against St George, we found ourselves in a knock out round. We were the underdogs and had a chance to prove to ourselves our capabilities as a team.

Our decision making was good; we stayed connected, played our game. The opportunities kept coming.

A stroke awarded to us resulted in a great goal by Ashton.

St George responded with a tomahawk into the back of the net with only three seconds to go in the first half.

We kept our composure and took the win, 2-1 with a tap in by Kiara in a scramble!

A terrific game by all; we’re ready to continue to next week.

Best and fairest: 3 points to Grace, 2 Emily, 1 Ruth.

Sutho 2nd grade Arangas 0 Pohogs 0

This was another rainy game against Pohogs, which sadly, led to an early end of the match. But this didn’t stop us from playing strongly.

With half the field underwater the ball moved slowly, but this didn’t stop us from making some determined, hard tackles against our opponents and making short sharp passes to our teammates.

In the first quarter, we had many determined attempts at our short corners and came close each time, but with the ball moving slowly, it struggled to make it over the goal line.

Unfortunately, at half time the game was called off with a 0-0 draw again, which is a positive result for us as a team.

All the ladies played exceptionally well considering the weather conditions and flooding field.

Best and fairest: Emily 3, Kaylah 2, Georgia 1.


Sutho 1st grade 1 University of NSW 3

This was another hard day at the office.  We started strongly only to be denied goals by stubborn Uni defence that seemed to stop impossible shots on the line – and then some.

The last quarter saw us come out fighting and lifted but just couldn’t put the ball in the net.  However, it didn’t excuse our lapses when once again breakdowns in attack caused our defence to do shuttles again.

Unfortunately, we paid the penalty by allowing two easy goals. The third we won’t bother talking about as it was just one of those things which some times happen in games and came from a simple mix up.  A positive from the match was that all the young brigade got their basics working, something which hopefully will continue into next week’s game and the final series.

Commitment and energy in the team cannot be questioned. It’s just getting the simple things right, and if we improve by starting with a win against Syd Uni next week, we could be looking good for the finals series.

We can be proud that we have almost finished 3rd after losing so many players and experience from last year.  So take full credit from this and let’s see if we get to the top and show everyone who we really are and how we have rebuilt with considerable input from our own juniors.

Best and fairest: Scott Govers 3, Harry Roberts 2, Riley Nilan 1.

Sutho 2nd grade 2 UNSW 4

Over the weekend our 2nd-grade team played UNSW in what was expected to be our most challenging match of the year.

After our comfortable win last week against Briars, our confidence was high going into this contest. We approached this game as we did any other, our key focus on our basics and playing to our strengths, such as engaging our midfield.

The first quarter was very even, as both UNSW and our team seemed to focus on maintaining possession and moving the ball with pace.

We were threatened early on defensively but managed to survive their pressure to mount an attack of our own. Eventually, this led to our first goal, off a beautiful trap and tomahawk produced by a man usually snaking/stealing goals from others; alas, he scored one of his own this week.

In the second quarter, UNSW played much higher and pressed us deeper. In a short space of time and after a few somewhat questionable ‘no danger’ decisions, UNSW scored the first and second goal.

It all seemed to be going wrong in that moment, as our opposition almost amassed their third goal after our defender, tackled/hit the ball over our baseline (he shall remain unnamed but maintains his innocence to this day). Alas, some brilliant defensive work on the post cleared the danger, as we saw out the half, down 2-1.

In the second half, UNSW continued to play a high-speed and attacking game of hockey. Our team held out well and created opportunities, but we couldn’t convert. UNSW managed to slot home another two goals before we rallied to score one more of our own. It came from our defensive mid-fielder pouncing on a loose ball, and then powerfully striking the ball past the keeper and into the bottom left corner.

The game ended 4-2. There were some disappointed heads in our team, but we look at the positives from this match, knowing it was a tight contest and we certainly believe we can play better for our next encounter.

Best and fairest:  3 Peter Mulcair, 2 Wade Tonna, Mitchell Shipp 1. Goals: Jake Sheppard, Ian McClung.

Sutho 3rd grade 3 UNSW 2

After two2 consecutive big scores at home against modest opposition, (10-0 ad 11-0), 3rds headed off to Daceyville for what billed as a tougher match against UNSW. After changing into our gear on the crowded footpath amongst the throng of hockey, soccer and rugby folks, we rolled out for our midday warmup and, MAN was it muggy. Low twenties, but must have been 150% humidity.

Our warmup on the turf was pretty intense and focused, and from the hit-off we started strongly, creating the best of the early chances, but just couldn’t finish them.

It was quickly clear that UNSW had a plan to crowd the middle and sit in behind the ball, then counter-attack. And it worked.

They got us mid-way through the 1st quarter on the break and slotted one past Dan, and then again shortly after from a well-taken corner. 0-2 down at the quarter break. Not having conceded a goal for three games and only 3 for the season to that point, we were all a little shocked.

However, calm (but sweaty) heads prevailed, and the plan was clear: win the next 3 quarters and let’s see what we are made from. We needed to play around them, circulate and transfer the ball at speed and get behind them.

And so for the rest of the match, with four fresh players on the bench after a couple of late inclusions that passed last-minute fitness tests, we ground away at the game plan. It was effective, but so was the UNSW defence, so we needed to make our chances count.

Midway through Q2 we got in behind them on the right and forced a corner, with Viney absolutely smoking the drag flick to be 2-1 down at the half time break.

As we created more chances in Q3 it drew UNSW out of defence and the game opened up a little.

Scott received the ball near halfway on a fast break and beat half their team, riding a couple of harsh attempted tackles before cracking the shot past the keeper. 2-2 at the 3/4 mark.

We kept that intensity in Q4, and again Scott got the ball in our half, held the ball as he weaved through all of their defence before firing a tomahawk at the right post which that man Sharpie neatly deflected for his 18th goal of the season, and a 3-2 lead. We held on for the win and resisted the UNSW overreactions to walk away happy with our comeback.

We know we need to play better away from home, work on our fitness as finals will be hotter, and execute our structure and finishing, but overall, we were happy with the points away from home in the sauna.

So with 1 round to go, we sit 2nd and if we win (or draw) v 6th placed Sydney Uni next week at Lidcombe,  we will secure 2nd spot and a second chance in finals after the long weekend.

Big thanks to Louise for deputising for Brett as our manager, with Brett battling man flu, and huge thanks to Smithy for umpiring one end and to Damo, Grant, Random Uni guy and then Grant again at the other end (love the new hippy shirt look Holly) – yes we had 5 different umpires!

B&F points: Scott 3, 2 Zak, 1 Oli T. Goals: 1 each to Matt Vine, Scott Crisafi and Brendan Sharp.

Sutho 5th grade 2 Bentstix 1

The maths was simple – win and we hold onto 4th place, lose or draw and we almost certainly will finish 5th (which it turned out would have been the case). And the challenge was immense, taking on 3rd placed Bentstix at Kyeemagh at 5 pm, knowing that 5th placed Briars had the easier game.

For those of us who have been around for a while, it felt like history repeating itself again in 5th grade as, for the last few seasons, at least one game at the backend of the season has been one to remember.

In 2018, we took on Ryde for a battle for the minor premiership in the final round game of the season and was described at the time as follows – “That final game was one for the ages, very tough, very fast, very intense but in the end, Ryde beat us to the Minor Premiership by 1 point.” – we went on to beat them in the major semi the very next week.

In 2019 the game to remember was the minor semi-final when we took on UNSW – from the annual report “…it was a battle. Down 1-2 at half-time, then 1-3 early in the second half, we put on 5 unanswered goals inside the last 20 mins to win 6-3.” There is just something about 5th grade and this time of the year…

…and so what about 2020 (enough reminiscing, old man).

Well, it was another battle, the first quarter was played at lightning speed with our team sucking in the air hard at quarter time but confident we can make a fight of it.

We conceded a (somewhat controversial) goal from a short corner – but the umpire’s decision always stands.

We conceded a second goal, but thankfully cool heads prevailed (after some hot heads appeared) and it was rightly ruled out for a “foot” in the Bentstix defensive quarter.

Despite being down 0-1, half time was positive, opinions on what to do did differ (as they should), but the overall feeling was that we’re still a good chance to win it.

Quarter three was an arm wrestle with few chances created by either team.

The three-quarter chat was simple – if you want to win, put everything into the final 17 minutes if we score 1, we will score a second…and that is what happened. Two goals came from fast breaks with great hold up play by Pikey to get young legs forward to put the ball in the back of the goal.

We held on for the final 3-odd minutes and the energy was massive; a super positive vibe in the squad.

This week sees us take on Bentstix again in this time in the minor semi-final when anything can happen (just look at last year!).

Goals: Oliver Bollard 2.

Sutho 6th grade. No match report. Pictures courtesy Rory Staples

Sutho 7th Grade 2 St George 3

The last game of the season for us turned into a great contest.

Saints needed to win to give them a shot at finals and we were playing for pride. We were down 2-0 early; the result of two well-taken short corners. We gained a foothold midway through the second quarter and began to threaten regularly.

Brooky scored from a corner to make it 2-1 at halftime.  Then, in the second half after shuffling the team positionally, especially across the midfield, we became more dangerous. Alec Khouri in goal pulled off some great saves against a dangerous St George forward line and Aaron Krepp was looking threatening for us upfront. Saints scored against the run of play to make it 3-1.

We dominated the last quarter with Brooky scoring again. Then followed a slew of chances for Phil and Matt Rowling and Aaron Krepp with the last coming in the last 20 seconds when Saints were lucky to turn us away. We deserved to get a point, however. It has has been the team’s lot this year – another one-goal loss was our fourth for the season.

Many good efforts were the order of the day, with Brooky, Changie, Adrian, Kevin, John Hol and Jono Krepp amongst them.

Thanks to Adam and Luke for backing up from 8th Grade.

B&F: Alec Khouri 3, Aaron Krepp 2, Mitch Rowling 1. Goals: Mark Brookfield 2.


Sutho U17 Geckos 4 St George 1

Coach Bryn Davies begins his report with a recap of the season:

Firstly, a big thanks to Debra Martin for taking the role of manager this season, I couldn’t have done it without you! Huge thanks!!

Secondly thank you, everyone, for the gift! I hope you all enjoyed the season: parents and players.

Okay now to the main event! I will try and keep it as short as I can (it’s going to be long).

Well, well, well, what a way to end our season!

Coming into this week I had one plan, that was for the team to play their best game and go out on a high. Several of the team members wanted us to “Park the Bus” if things didn’t go our way. I agreed but I also wanted us to attack as much as possible.

Our game plan was simple: defend the centre of our 25 and 16, hold them out of the circle as best we could and push them wide. Then attack with speed when the opportunity presented itself. The team did this exceptionally well, we did more than park the bus – we built a wall.

The first 1/4 started like fire: We managed to secure the first short corner, even though we didn’t finish with a goal. It was a good result that woke St George up; they came back strong and got the first goal as a result. However, keeping composure and focus we didn’t drop our heads.

We kept pushing and sticking to our game plan because it was working. I knew if we kept it up and if we kept our motivation strong, the goals would come. Sure enough, they did; our strikers kept their backs moving and in turn creating space for our first goalscorer Adrian to blast through like 5 people.

Our defence was rock strong, with Dominic, Zac Coles and Sean Weir playing amazing games. Sean had the best save I have seen in a long time. He made a grand final save on a short corner like no other! He just held the left post and the ball came right to him, hit his stick and deflected out of the circle.

Zac made countless tackles that saved us when we were on the back foot and he even managed to find time to attack and create opportunities for our forwards. He held that centre line with Adrian and Darcey really well.

Our 2nd goal came from consistent and patient gameplay by our mids and strikers. Nic Townsend played his best game, saving his first and only goal for the right game and the right time.

Just as St George was putting us under lots of pressure we managed to clear the ball out, I can’t remember exactly how we moved the ball up the turf but it got up there through strong control and accurate passing. Nic had been moving around up to for the entire game finding space and keeping the defender distracted. Once he found the right space he made his lead and I knew he was going to score and he did, a big old splat right in behind the goalie!

Our last play came from discipline, composure and I think above all pure want to win. We parked the bus and waited till the very end to put the last nail in the coffin with Zac McGrath’s final goal. I was hysterical, both Deb and Jacob can attest to it. We had achieved what we came out to do we not only played our best game we beat the top team convincingly!

Our MVP of the match was Adrian Martin who played one of his best games going from defence into attack and back into defence. He was the cement holding together the brick wall that was our defence. 2 points went to Nic again – well deserved playing his best game! and finally 1 point to Zac Coles who again showed good strength in the midfield.

End Of season Info: As our season came to an end and due to the current COVID situation we had to announce those who will receive awards for the season on the spot. I hate this part as I think everyone played a strong season this year, everyone put 100% in, particularly in the last few games of our season.

Everyone should be proud of their own development. I think as a team we came together very strongly. As a team, they achieved the main goal of developing skills and cohesion. I will expand on this in our yearbook.

  • Most Improved went to Charles Weaver for his quick development of strong stick and ball control when carrying and tackling and his awareness of quick positioning during the changing gameplay
  • Coaches Award went to Zac McGrath for his strong and consistent effort on and off the field. He had a never give up attitude on the pitch that allowed him to compete and win many contests and keep the team motivation and positivity levels up, and
  • Best And Fairest (is still to be officially confirmed) However, as it stands from last night Deb and I calculated that it was very close and came down to that game. Adrian Martin as of that result won Best and Fairest on the night. Well deserved, a consistent and strong season by Adrian saw him lead our team through thick and thin.

I can’t be happier to have coached such a fun and positive bunch of young adults. I hope they go away with this win feeling a sense of achievement, that anything is possible if you are positive and have a strong mindset.

U17 Sutho Blue Tongues 2 UNSW 1

This was the team’s best game of the season. What a way to finish, with a WIN!!! Awesome effort, everyone.

The start of the game did not look promising, with UNSW coming out with everything that they had – and they scored their only goal within the first minute. We tried our best to even the score but just couldn’t put one into the goal.

The second quarter is when Ben scored our first goal to even the game. We held UNSW to 1-1 until the fourth quarter, when Alex scored the second goal, sealing our win at 2-1.

The flow drills that you practised at training, the marking players, the talking to each other, the passing, the intercepting, the goal-saving, the playing as a team; the list goes on. It all worked exceptionally well. You played like a team who had gelled.

Thanks to Kai from 15A Geckos for filling in tonight; we definitely needed you. We all hope you’re feeling better soon, Jade (who was struck down sick just before the game).

Finally, thanks to everyone for a great season. You rose to the challenges thrown at you, both on and off the field. We hope to see you all at the hockey fields again next year.

Best and fairest: 3 points: Ben Taylor, 2 Jonathon Krepp, 1 Alexander Russell.

Sutho U15 Metro v Briars. No report. Thank you to Rory Staples for the pictures

Sutho U15A Geckos 0 St George Randwick 4. Thanks, Matt Morris, for your pictures.

Apologies – A blank area may follow this report. It’s a picture gallery that is not displaying through some weird quirk of this software. The good news is that if you click on it, pictures will open.

Everyone was proud to be part of the Gecko’s season; they started slowly but built momentum. They took on the competition leaders with confidence today, playing a fast game with plenty of dedication to the game and the club.

The level of effort did not waiver throughout the quarters, with every team member taking on their individual battle on the field with solid determination.

It was a very evenly matched game as far as possession and time spent in each other’s halves, and the opportunities to strike came regularly.

SGR found a repeating pattern of centre striker feed which led to the loss today, but it was not through lack of effort by our backline who consistently shut down so many more opportunities on our goal.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Peter Tait for his excellent guidance and patience in developing the players throughout the season.  This is an excellent playing group. The actions and attitudes of the players, on and off the ground are a credit to their parents. They have represented their club well.

Go Sutho!

Best and Fairest (players’ player): All players deserved points this week. We did not ask players to vote today as our player’s player points winner was out of striking distance, being 4 points ahead.

Presentation: With COVID-19 restrictions, we are unable to hold a formal presentation as a club, so the announcements were made today. Best and fairest was a ‘Player’s Player’ vote this year: Congratulations to Tomas McCowen for this award.

U15B Sutho Blue Tongues 1 Glebe 1

After the last three games saw our best efforts of the year Sutho, was determined to continue this form for the last match. The first quarter saw us come out firing. Most of the quarter was played in Glebe’s half, and only with some great defence were they able to keep us out.

Completely against the run of play, Glebe was able to turn their defence into attack and score the first goal of the game. However, it was long before our relentless attack resulted in a perfectly executed corner that saw Nicholas put the ball in the back of the net. It took the score to 1 -1 at quarter time.

The second quarter again saw a relentless attack by Sutho but unfortunately, we are unable to get the goal that we deserved. Full credit to Glebe for the strong defence and taking the game to half time at 1-1.

The third quarter saw the game even up. Although Glebe tried, our defence stopped them from getting shots in. This quarter saw the save of the game – not but our goalie, but by Ezekiel’ who was there to calmly push Glebe’s best shot of the day over for a long corner.

The final quarter, with a couple of injuries that limited the rotation of players, saw some fatigue set in. Glebe took advantage of this and spent most of the quarter on the attack. But our players gave their all and defended as their lives depended on it. Our defence frustrating the Glebe attack finally saw us turn the game for the last couple of minutes back to how it started, with Sutho attacking but unable to get that winning goal.

Today’s game was a fantastic team effort with everyone playing their hardest for the last game. Playing his best game of the season and without a doubt the best player on the field this week saw Ezekiel a clear winner taking 3 points, Liv again showing why she is the best goalie in the team takes 2 and Myles, as always playing at 110%, gets the 1 point.

envira-gallery id=”18252″]

On behalf of the players and parents, I would like to thank Jo and Paris for doing a fantastic job of coaching this year. You could see the players improve every week – and if they were to remember anything from this year, I’m sure it would be: “PRESS”.

Sutho Under 15B Thorny Devils 0 lost to St George Randwick 1

It was our last game for the season today, and we all had some fun. Abby and Declan played beautifully in defence stopping SGR in their tracks on numerous occasions.

Bailey played well up forward as usual.

As this was our last game, we held a brief “Presentation Night Ceremony” after our match. Best and Fairest went to Bailey Peters, Most Improved to Victoria Henwood, and the Coach’s Award to Lachlan Duhne.

On behalf of the team, we all want to thank Hannah for her energy, enthusiasm and guidance while coaching us this year.

Best and fairest: 3 pts Abby Struve, 2 Bailey Peters, 1 Declan Baron.

Sutho U13B Thorny Devils 2 Sutho Bearded Dragons 2 Battle of the Lizards Trophy

The last game of the regular season between stablemates was always going to be a great match. Bearded Dragons scored early and had the Thorny Devils worried.

In a dramatic second quarter, three players on the pitch required ice but a quick goal put the Thorny Devils back in the game.

Jamie- Grace used her speed to deliver the ball to the circle but the Bearded Dragons made it really tough for the Thorny Devils to score.

The third quarter saw Julian score followed shortly after by another Bearded Dragons goal.

Bearded Dragons really wanted the win and gave little opportunity for the Thorny Devils to score.

Thorny Devils changed tactics with Bridget and Jack holding the fort up the back while Lachlan marked a player to try to slow down the Bearded Dragons’ attack.

The team fought hard but couldn’t manage to score again ending the game in a draw.

Thorny Devils will now head into the Grand Final with 8 wins and 2 draws.

Best and Fairest: Jamie-Grace Pittello 3, Luka Collins 2 and Lachlan Ellis 1. Goals: Julian Krepp and Jude Lyons.

Sutho U11B Blue Tongues 6 Sutho U11B Thorny Devils 1 Battle of the Lizards Trophy

The U11B BTs played the U11B TDs in the last competition round of the season. This Battle of the Lizards game was strongly contested from start to finish. The TDs were strong right throughout the game, and although the score ended up 6-1 to the Blue Tongues, the TDs really tested their defence throughout.

There were excellent passages of play in the game that resulted in goals to the Blue Tongues.  The first goal of the game started in the midfield with a quick ball from Sophie on the left across the field to Mila on the right who travelled into the circle with the ball and won a short corner. After receiving the ball on the hit-out, Jack aimed for the post, found Mila’s stick and she got the goal in.

The second goal came from Mila putting pressure on the 16-yard free hit, and intercepting the ball and putting a square ball to Jack, whose quick shot on goal went in.

It wasn’t all attack. The defence worked hard, especially in the midfield by Grace, Sophie, Caiden and Ethan, breaking the play down as the TDs were putting some excellent quick passes through on the right side, looking for their highly placed forward. The intensity rose as the game progressed. This saw TDs having a few shots on goal which Audrey, in goals this week, saved every single time.

Once again Lincoln controlled the back and read the play beautifully.  He put a great quick ball to Caiden, who put the ball to Ethan who penetrated the circle and put a great ball across the goal to Mila who put a cracking shot into the goal. There was no saving that one!

The TDs wasted no time in getting back on the attack and there may have been a bit of confusion in the Blue Tongues’ defence which resulted in an own goal being scored. However, the Blue Tongues got this one back immediately with an intercept by Ethan who put the ball to Jack positioned in the centre of the circle to score.

The next goal came from a very quick ball from Lincoln in the centre to Ethan who was leading into space on the right. He penetrated the circle and beat a defender, took a shot on goal and in it went.  The final goal of the game saw Ethan backing himself again, taking on the defence and using his ball skills to beat several defenders.

This team has grown together as the season has progressed. Every player should be proud of how they have improved over the season to win their way to the grand final. Bring on next week! This week’s Best and Fairest points go to Jack, Mila and Audrey.

Sutho U11A Geckos. No report. Pictures thanks to Rory Staples


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *